Thursday 13 February 2014

Wardrobe: 3

Hello all! Nearly the end of the week - huzzah! Got another lovely clothes post for you detailing my first foray into feathers (key trend for SS14). 





Now, I pride myself on being reasonably ambitious/brave in my sartorial choices, but plumage was never something I had considered before. Still, having noticed them creeping into the SS14 collections of Alexander McQueen, Julien MacDonald, Louis Vuitton, and Erdem, I figured perhaps now was the time to try them out. I must say, however, I'm not sure I went for it with as much chutzpah as McQueen's or Vuitton's lot. Though I would absolutely wear a feathery headdress if it rained less in Britain/was less likely to upset people...




So I did what every money-conscious shopaholic would do: I headed to Ebay. Incidentally, if anyone can think of a suitably snappy alternative to "shopaholic", I would be exceedingly grateful. It is an awful, but frustratingly specific word...

ANYWAY, back to the (highly fascinating) story. I went on Ebay and located a variety of feathered goods, got far too excited and placed bids on.... 5 of them... A £20 feathered skirt which originally retailed at £80 is a really good bargain. 
5 x £20 skirts is not. 





Thankfully for me I was outbid on three of them and only ended up with two feathered beauties. I figured I could sell one on/give it to an unsuspecting friend/family member for a birthday. Then they both arrived and... I-like-them-both-too-much-so-they're-staying-and-any-way-one-is-grey-and-one-is-blue-so-they're-basically-totally-different.
Yes.





Another thing about the skirts is that they are ridiculously short. Like, ridiculously short. And I've never really been a one for flashing too much leg... mostly because I don't have much to flash... indeed, with legs as tiny as mine it is nigh on impossible to find anything that is "too short" for you that hasn't been designed for a Barbie. Never fear, however, I just decided to improvise and wear this grey ex-bird over a dress which covers my posterior. As the above photo demonstrates, it is highly necessary. Any brisk walking or sitting down and the skirt becomes little more than a glorified peplum ruffling gently in the breeze. 





Dress - H+M
Skirt - Ebay
Socks - New Look
Boots - ASOS
Earrings - Vintage
We took these photos bright and early this morning in Bodley's Court, King's College. It had to be bright and early because otherwise my feathers and I would have been on full display to a horde of students heading to lectures and - as you might be able to tell - I am yet to learn how best to pose without looking like a complete and utter dingbat. Dingbat, unlike shopaholic, is an excellent word.


Midi rings - Topshop
Chevron ring (right hand) - Eclectic Eccentricity Jewellery
Spike ring (left hand) - H+M


In honour of my beloved Scotland who, like me, may very soon be bereft of the pound, I went with tartan socks and nails (a clearer picture of which can be found here). Got to love my be-tartaned extremities, they make me happy every time I catch sight of my hands and/or feet. Right! I'm off to write a dissertation/apply for jobs/giggle with glee at my own fingers and you lot - Have a good night and a happy Friday tomorrow.   

1 comment: